Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hidden India

Today we managed to get back out into the field to help some animals. When we returned to the Shelter we found that our little darling Fresca was gone :( We worried that the shelter had euthanized her since her back legs don't work, but we were assured by the vet on duty that the people who dropped her off came back for her. Here's to hoping they choose to take good care of her! Our other "projects" are doing well: the pelvic fracture puppy has begun to walk, but then it bit me today so I am bitter with it. Don't worry, my skin was not broken so I will be okay.The guilty party


Since we couldn't spend a huge amount of time outdoors today, given our weakened conditions, we met some of Anjolie's friends for lunch at a restaurant called TLR (the living room? truth love respect? i can't remember) in a place called Haus Khas village. The restaurant was on a beautiful little street peppered with art galleries and clothing shops. On the surface India looks half-built with broken concrete, piles of trash, and slums all over the place. If you take the time to look past the ragged exterior of pretty much all of Delhi you will find an intricate dedication to presentation. Every restaurant I have visited in Delhi (Mamagoto, TLR, Lodi Garden, etc) has been beautifully and originally designed. I would have expected to find every one of these restaurants on Union Street in San Francisco or in a loft in London. Being a guest of a family in India has allowed me to find these hidden beauties among the rubble, and I greatly appreciate this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment