Monday, May 25, 2009

Summer Yummies

One of the things I am most looking forward to this summer is the cuisine. I have very little exposure to food from European countries, besides the Czech restaurant "Little Prague" here in Davis, and random Italian restaurants.

Here are some of the foods I am looking forward to, most of which I have never tried or even heard of!
Tiropitas

Greece:
- Breakfast: tiropitas (flaky cheese filled pastries)
- Lunch:
garlic-marinated lamb kabobs or tzatziki (garlicky yogurt and cucumbers)
- Dinner:
moussaka (lamb, eggplant and bechamel sauce), pastitsio (lamb or goat meat with macaroni and tomatoes), stifado (braised beef with onions) and paidakia (grilled lamb or goat chops)

Denmark:
- Breakfast
(morgenmad): is usually very abundant, based on yogurt, jam, sandwiches, eggs, cold meats, cheeses and fruit juices
- Lunch (frokost): is generally based on canapés (small, prepared and usually decorative food held in the fingers), calls Smørrebrød, which are generally a complete meal made up of a series of slices of buttered bread with all kinds of cold meats, fish, sauces and pâté.
- Dinner (middag), is usually formed from a single dish based on meat or fish.

This especially looks good:
Apple- and Prune-Filled Spareribs - Ribbenstykke med Æbler

Since the other places I'd like to visit are not yet confirmed, I won't list their specialties until that happens.

I do solemnly swear not to be that American that goes to France asking for French fries or to Belgium for Belgian waffles. I also promise to try foods that I haven't tried or make me uncomfortable (ie seafood). I want to try a local delicacy in each place I go to, if I can afford it of course. Here's to food!

2 comments:

  1. KABOBS!!! I'm so looking forward to those, too. If only, as a poor college student, the only things in my pantry right now weren't oatmeal, soup, and... Yup, that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha that sounds like my pantry, too.

    Right now on the Food Network they're doing a piece on one of my favorite restaurants from home (I just randomly turned on the channel!) and it's making me hate my kitchen so much

    ReplyDelete