I was going to do a long post about how EVERYTHING went wrong today, but I decided not to burden ya'll with my problems, because they won't feel so heavy tomorrow, so what's the point?
Instead you get to see a list of cool Danish stuff! I love lists.
Famous Danish Companies
- Lego: little toy blocks that people love well into adulthood
- MAERSK: a cargo shipping company, for those of you who don't live on the ocean or have never seen one of their containers.
- Haribo: they make super delicious candies. Not totally sure they're Danish, but whatever.
- Skype: cheap/free online communication program. The guy who started this also did Kazaa, a program to illegally download music.
Famous Danes
- Hamlet: fictional Prince of Denmark, main character of the most performed Shakespeare play
- The Little Mermaid, Thumbelina, and Beowulf: three more fictional Danes
- Viggo Mortensen: Technically half-Danish, but who cares? Most famous as Aragorn of the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, also my future husband. Not that he knows this.
- Saxo Grammaticus: a historian I've never heard of, but I saw him on the wikipedia list of famous Danes, and he has the coolest, most badass name ever. I am going to change my name to Saxo Grammaticus.
- Niels Bohr: physicist. Worked on the Manhattan project, did some other stuff.
Other
- First country in the world to refer to the union of two people of the same gender as "marriage." This was in 1989, only 20 years ago! Still got a lot of work to do, world!
Okay I can't think of anything else. EXCEPT! this doesn't have to do with Denmark as a whole, but whatever. Last night I spent about 2 hours chatting with Nicolaj over the Danish beer, Tuborg, and after all the stories of my mother during college, he proceeded to tell me that someone died in the bathroom that I use. In addition to the colony of spiders living outside my window and threatening to eat my soul, I am now supposed to fear the ghost haunting my toilet. Naturally, I slept with the light on last night.
You may be thinking, 'don't be such a baby, people die in places all the time.' No. The man was burned alive in the bathroom, unable to escape a house fire. When Nicolaj visited the house for the first time, they had not yet cleaned up all the soot, and the outline of the man's body remained on the floor. Now YOU sleep with the lights off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I was laughing and enjoying that great Danish factoid list (they are a seriously great nation, right?), and then... You come out with the bombshell that a man burned to death in your bathroom. Crap. Um. Invest in a really nice bedside lamp?
ReplyDeleteOh, and don't feel bad for posting about stuff that's gone wrong or things that are worrying/stressing you out. That's what a blog is for sometimes.
Hope tomorrow is a bit more fun :)
Wow, that's creepy!
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling better by the time you read this. I'm off to Monterey with the family to celebrate the 4th :)
Thanks girls! I had an incredible day today, and I can scarecely remember what was so bad about yesterday.
ReplyDeleteHahaha I love to throw curveballs like that. Never see it coming!
Great fact to know about Denmark! And you were right about Haribo. It was founded in Germany. I love their gummi bears!
ReplyDeleteThe dead guy in the bathroom... super creepy.
Have a nice weekend!
Uh, that's frikkin' scary. I think I'll sleep with MY light on tonight. Yuk.
ReplyDeleteI just got a computer with skype on it. Which means nothing to this post, but now I know skype's Danish!
Macey