Monday, July 6, 2009

Huzzah

Sorry for the lack of updates these last few days. Life has been not as eventful as my blog would hope. Well actually I made an interesting discovery...

On Friday night Nicolaj took me and his two eldest children to Bakken, an amusement park North of Copenhagen. It happens to be the oldest STILL-RUNNING amusement park, which I think is pretty cool. It is set in the middle of a beautiful forest. On our way to the park, we saw an albino baby deer, which is pretty rare, but not my interesting discovery. My discovery was that amusement parks attract White Trash. And that White Trash exists in Denmark. I never expected to see it! The first person I saw at Bakken was a man with his hat on backwards, no shirt, and his chest hair shaved into the shape of a cross. People were wearing giant inflatable condom hats (yes I wanted one), and they had stands selling giant ties that displayed such words as "FUCK" and "SHIT," in English. The whole place had the general feel of less-than-sophisticated.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with these people, I was just surprised to see the (now outdated) stereotype of "American" wandering through Scandinavia. These were the same kinds of people I have seen at every county fair I have ever been to. It was fun.

Anywho, the next day we went to the beach where I was reminded that Europeans enjoy swimming in the nude. But not the hot, young, sexy Europeans. The old guys. Ew. Trying to ignore a certain man's "Golden Years," I focused my attention on the landmass across the water, which turned out to be Sweden. So now I have decided to go to Sweden this weekend. Yay! I am going to Stockholm, where I will surely do stuff.

I will update more later. Now it's dinner time!

7 comments:

  1. ali, you are so funny! Go, go, go to Sweden. It's sounds like just what you need. Call that hostel and force your way in - or find another country that has hostel availability. Go wherever the door is open. Love youuuuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now know something I didn't before reading this post: White Trash exists in Denmark. And here I was believing that Scandinavia was a mecca of all things good design and taste? HA!

    Oh, and Sweden sounds like an excellent idea, if for no other reason than it beats accidentally looking at an old man's junk on a Danish beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gawd. That's hilarious! I had no clue they had that in Denmark! I wanna see it! Hilarious!
    Macey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please get me a tie and/or hat. Those things would definitely complete my life. Especially the tie, which I could wear to formal events

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Michael finally showed me how to post comments!:-D Have a fabulous time in Sweden...see an Ingmar Bergman movie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. mjwunder, who I am assuming is my mother and not my sister: I called the hostel, and they found a bed for me for three nights! Huzzah indeed!

    the girl: I know, my idea of Scandinavia is shaken, too. Maybe Sweden can fix it, but not my memory of that old man. I cannot unsee that.

    Macey: haha I know I was so surprised!!

    Michæl: (hell yeah I'm using the Danish letter) If I get you the tie, you have to promise to wear it to a formal event. No negotiations.

    Diane: I am glad Michael helped you! Now you don't have to print out your comments and give them to me later ;)

    ReplyDelete