Friday, June 26, 2009

And then the loneliness sets in...

I am a crier, and I know that. But I have not cried yet on this trip, which surprises me. Perhaps it is because, up until now, I have been sharing rooms with other people, and I have been to proud or too ashamed to cry in front of other people. Now that I have settled into a home with my own bedroom, I have started to feel the itch of missing home.

Being in a hostel means having a constant flow of friends, people who are as alone as me and so always wanting to hang out. Now I have barged into a very busy family whose main concern is not finding friends, and it is a very different experience for me.

However, the party tonight was very fun. I realized at once I would not be experiencing a typical Danish dinner, which is stereotypically very organized, calm, and clean. Nicolaj is half Sicilian, and that heritage was the one present at the dinner table. There were 8 children, 9 or 10 adults, 2 large dogs, and lots of good food. I had a really great time, and it was nice to be welcomed into the family. It was hard though, because their fun made me truly miss my family for the first time since I left. The dinner party tonight reminded me of the dinner part at home, only with far more small children. Chances are I miss my family less than the au pair misses hers, as she has two small children at home. Anyway I am sure I will get over it, but the first few days of moving are always hard, especially when you are providing your own emotional support. Plus there are a lot of big spiders outside my window, and I am arachnophobic. That sucks.

In less depressing news, I figured out the extremely complicated train systems (there are 3) and went to find the place where I will be working. They gave me a tour of the hospital, and it seems really nice. Unfortunately it is kind of far from where I am living, but many people commute, why should I be so different?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it sounds like dinner was great though! And you probably are going to have tons of fun! : )
    Macey

    ReplyDelete