Sunday, June 21, 2009

Pictures galore!

I have found a fabulous internet cafe near my hostel, and I have some time to put up my pictures since I got here! I will start by finishing up London, and then move on to Amsterdam.
London

Here I am enjoying my first ever LEGAL beer in London. On our way to the bar, we sort of saw Kate Moss go into a club. Afterwards, when we were returning to the hostel, we saw her drive by again! Fabulous.

Amsterdam

Monument in Damsquare, Amsterdam.


At my hostel in Amsterdam, Shelter City, they had a bonfire. I happened to arrive on Hostel Night, the one night a month where they have free dinner and free fun! They played Chronicles of Narnia and then we made s'mores over the courtyard bonfire.

I made a friend! This is Sara, she goes to Wheaton College and is working at the hostel for the summer. She hasn't gotten a chance to see the touristy stuff in Amsterdam, so today we are going to head out and see everything


Here is a crazy Dutch marshmallow. It is a flat parallelogram, with strawberry on one side, and regular on the other.


Outdoor urinals - they are very stinky. Men do not have the best aim.


Nor do I.


Here I am standing on a bridge over one of Amsterdam´s canals!


This house I am in front of is so skinny! My arm span goes beyond the entire width of the house!


Pretty.


Fabulous Italian salame baguette sandwich I had at a cafe across from the Anne Frank House. I will find the name of it when I go back to go into the house.


Nevena and Linnaea, two girls from Toronto who I met at the hostel.

The three of us went on a canal tour at 9 pm (obviously still VERY light out), but it wasn't so great.


Here is a bachelor party on the canal. They took pictures of us as we took pictures of them. There were many bachelor and bachelorette parties in Amsterdam. I guess it is like the Las Vegas of Europe, but a lot less disgusting.

Look at this guy posing on the boat. What a champ.

Before she left, Nevena gave me her scarf because she said it suited my hair color better than hers. I love hostels, because you meet the most wonderful people.


You know you are in Amsterdam when you...

...are propositioned for Live Sex Shows (porn in person!)

...see Dildo displays

...can pick from the widest range of the craziest condoms

...are open to a wider range of `Herbal supplements` and `massages` (pot and prostitution). It is considered rude to take pictures of the Ladies of the Evening, so you will have to imagine for yourselves.



So there you have it. I am absolutely loving Amsterdam, and I am excited to see the museums and historical parts. The general atmosphere here reminds me of San Francisco (especially Haight Street), and the outdoor markets make me so excited! I am a huge fan of outdoor markets. I always buy things I don't need (although I'm still on budget, surprisingly).

8 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Laughing SO hard at the pictures from You know you are in Amsterdam when... Wish I was there! And that scarf really does suit your hair colour - nice one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Love the scarf, love the marshmallow, love the salami, love the boy (looks like a cross between Orlando Bloom and Rob Pattinson) and sorry, but love the condoms. Amsterdam looks like so much fun and I'm glad you are making your way around to all the sites! We love you. Rock on little babe. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I love the scarf, the weather has been cold here so I definitely got it at the right time!

    Thank you mom - you are allowed to think condoms are funny, especially when talking about these ones. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, fun, fun! I love the pictures. And you are right about our marshmallows. They are crazy. I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so fun! I agree with Lisa, totally, I was thinking Rob P. and Orlando B. for that guy. He was cute! I would love to see those store windows, kinda reminds me on New Orleans!
    It's so nice that Nevena gave you her scarf, something to remember forever! The house and urinals were crazy! Thanks for sharing this with all of us who don't get out much!
    Macey

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I'm so insanely jealous sitting here at home on my couch... Maybe I can convince people to go to Amsterdam with me when we're in Turkey. Skip a week of school and just travel, yeah?

    SO JEALOUS SO JEALOUS SO JEALOUS!!!

    I can't leave soon enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should, I bet it would be completely worth it. This city is so alive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pix! I'm on my waaaayyyyy! Wait for meee!
    xoxo
    diane

    ReplyDelete