Wednesday, June 24, 2009

So long, and thanks for all the fish

Tonight I will be leaving on a train to Copenhagen, and I will have to bid "adieu" to the city that has hosted me for the past few days. I have had an amazing time here in Amsterdam, and I have learned a lot of important things about a new culture.

1) Tipping is not really necessary. This has been difficult for me, because in the US you will be chased down the street for not leaving a 15% tip, so I have been inclined to leave a few coins at the table.

2) Cleaning up after your dog is not expected. I have had to maneuver around so many poos while walking through the streets to avoid stepping in them, and some of my friends have not been as lucky as I.

3) Bicycles rule the streets. This isn't like Davis, where the bikes will stop for you. Stopping is not an option for them. Cars, pedestrians, and animals must yield or suffer the consequences. The hierarchy goes Bikes -> Cars -> Dogs -> Pedestrians.

4) Neutering your pet is not popular or necessary. The veterinary credo is "Spay and Neuter or go to Hell" (slightly modified), or at least I thought it was. I have never had a stronger urge to go around snipping at the backsides of all the dogs, but I don't want to be deported. Surprisingly, I have seen no feral or stray animals, so maybe the lack of fixing is okay.

5) Recycling is not so important. I have seen a couple of recycling bins for paper and bottles, but I have never seen anyone use them. I have however, seen many people toss their recyclables in the trash or in the canals, whichever is closer. This city is progressive in many ways, but not in recycling. I guess they bike enough to make up for it.

6) Herring. It is herring season in Holland right now. That means everyone is downing entire herrings in one gulp. Take a look at my Dutch blog friend Dutch Donut Girl's post about the festivities.


It was really fun being in Amsterdam, and I'm excited to come back in September to experience it again. I have seen so many things I would rather never see again, but all the memories are fun and worthwhile. I am looking forward to being in Copenhagen - I emailed the veterinary clinic that responded to my initial email, and they still expect me to come to work next week, so I am very excited about that. It's been too long since I've been in a hospital. And hopefully being there will make up for the lack of neutering going on in this town, and I can rest easy.

4 comments:

  1. Nice one, Ali! Glad Amsterdam was so, um, educational.

    Oh, and the tipping thing is (I think) more of an American thing - we don't really do it here in Australia, either, unless you want to acknowledge truly good service.

    And this line made me crack up, super hard: I have seen so many things I would rather never see again... Hooray for Amsterdam ;) Best of luck in Copenhagen, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You are a riot! I'm so pleased you were able to restrain your snipping impulses. It would have been so sad to have you sent home with your tail between your legs (pun intended). Have fun in Copenhagen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) Have a fun and safe trip! I really should write a post about #1, #2 & #4. You would be surprised. But I can't wait to learn new things about Copenhagen. I have never been to Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in New Orleans once and for some reason it sounds a lot like the french quarter to me. : /
    Macey

    ReplyDelete