Tomorrow is the day of days. I start my internship at the veterinary clinic here in Copenhagen (well, technically in suburb called Vanløse). I am pretty nervous, largely because of my inability to speak Danish, but also because I haven't worked in a hospital since last summer. From what I have seen of Copenhagen, neuterings are also not common, so maybe the clinic won't be so busy and I will have a lot of time for each exam. But that is usually not the way things work.
I spent this weekend getting to know the city a little bit - yesterday I ventured out to Østerport train station, right in the middle of historic Copenhagen, where I saw the famous Little Mermaid statue that has been a tourist attraction for many years.

As well as a target that local teens just love to desecrate:

I also spent the equivalent of 9 American dollars on a bottle of water and a medium Soft-Ice, which while very expensive, was pretty much worth the money. Soft-ice is the most incredible thing I have ever eaten. Imagine frozen yogurt, but creamier and thicker and sweeter and oh so amazing. I can guarantee I looked like a small child with the amount of delight that covered my face while eating this treat.
Because most of the attractions in Copenhagen, like everything else, were really expensive, I decided instead to walk around some of the gardens. First was Kongens Have (King's Garden), where I found a multitude of tall, blonde, blue-eyed young people (my age) enjoying the rare sunshine that has graced this country for the past few days (I am giving my arrival the credit). It was nice to see so many people out and about doing stuff, and I always appreciate a beautiful, well-maintained garden.

Plus, it included the Rosenborg Castle, pictured above, which houses the royal jewels, which I was too cheap to go see.
All in all Copenhagen and its surrounding suburbs are beautiful and unique, and I look forward to getting to know them better. It will be nice when Michael gets here, because I intend to do a lot of the touristy stuff with him, since I don't want to pay for stuff twice. Also, he moved his flight 2 days earlier! Yay!
Aw the poor mermaid...
ReplyDeleteAnd did you say tall, blonde, and blue-eyed? UM CAN I MOVE THERE?! My husband is supposed to be TWHB (tall, white, handsome, and blonde) and it looks like I have found my hunting grounds.
Hahha seriously, every guy here is tall, blonde, and blue-eyed. The ones that aren't are obviously from other countries. Hunting season is open!
ReplyDeleteOf course, sweetie! When you got there the weather shifted! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is gonna be so great to print off and keep for when you're older and can look back and remanisce. Did I spell that right? I think not. I'm too lazy to check though. : )
Macey
Those photos are absolutely amazing - is it wrong if I laughed at the comparison between the 'real' Little Mermaid and her slightly more psychadelic sister?
ReplyDelete