Sunday, June 21, 2009

RIP

Amsterdam is a truly amazing city. For the past few days I have been giggling at sex toys and whores while eating an extremely diverse cuisine (Argentina, China, Italy, Holland), and going to church and prayer circles (I'll get to that later). Today I decided to go to one of the most famous locations in Amsterdam - The Anne Frank House. I'm sure everyone knows who Anne Frank is, but if you don't, she was a Jewish girl who spent years in hiding from the Nazis during World War 2. She was eventually arrested and sent to Auschwitz, where she died a month before the Americans liberated the camp.

For my readers who haven't met me, my family is Jewish and endured the persecution of the Jews. Even though I have never truly practiced Judaism, if it were WW2 today, I would undoubtedly be killed for my heritage.

So, obviously, going into this house was pretty emotional for me. It is a normal building along one of the canals on an otherwise normal street. The hidden annex sits behind a hinged bookcase, and the tour took me into the actual rooms where Anne Frank, her family, and the other 4 people hid in fear. The curtains were black, the rooms were narrow and musty, and honestly I don't know if I could have endured such entrapment for as long as they did. Knowing that I was in the exact same room that Anne Frank hid was a truly unique and disturbing feeling. I am thankful she wrote her diary, because now everyone can know the fear, anguish, tension, and sadness that she and 6 million other Jews felt.



So that's probably it for the serious stuff, unless I go to Auschwitz, which I don't think I can handle, but I am prone to decision changes, so we will see! As a joke I told my Italian boyfriend that because the Italians fought with the Nazis in WW2, I would punish his ancestry by making him go to every Holocaust Memorial in Germany, but maybe that's harsh. Also I don't think his family had anything to do with Nazis ever, and he certainly likes Jews (he's dating me!). Here are some horse butts to make us all feel better:


My next post is going to be about shoes and church, watch out!

1 comment:

  1. Horse's butts always make me laugh!
    That was a beautiful post, the Anne Frank house would be very difficult to go through. I saw Schindler's List was on the other day and I watched about 30 minutes and I had to turn it. It's just too sad. My husband's family left as soon as the crap started coming down in Germany. They changed their name and moved to Luxemborg.
    Macey

    ReplyDelete