Thursday, June 25, 2009

Danmark!

I am in Denmark! After a 15 hour train ride through Northern Europe, I have arrived. And I have to say, it has only JUST hit me that I am even in Europe. It is like I have been preparing for this big trip since November, and Denmark was the focal point of it, and here I am! It is a beautiful country. Reading my Denmark Culture Shock book I was convinced that all Danes are standoffish and reserved, and that they will not talk to you. I started thinking, "what am I doing in this crazy country? I will be so lonely!" But there were 3 Danes in my 6 bed compartment on the train, and all 3 initiated conversations with me, one even asking to be Facebook friends.

However once I got settled at Nicolaj´s house I took a walk around the lake, and people do not like to be looked in the eye or smiled at. Very different than the US.

Now with that bit, I am sure you all want to hear about the house! It exceeds my expectations. It is massive and beautiful, old and classy, and on a ton of amazing property. There are 3 horses (not 20, mom), 2 goats, one Great Dane (still a puppy omg so cute), one cat, and swans gracefully floating on the lake the house sits on. It is a fairytale property. I cannot believe it. I feel like a princess.

More later!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh sounds like a nice place :)

    You're there for a month or so, yeah? I'm JUST sending in my last form for study abroad today! 19 days and counting until departure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget that David, Nicolaj and I all have similar story telling "skills". If it seems real to us, it is so. 20 horses? 3 horses? - still some mighty equine! Hug Nicolaj for me and all those darling boys - I know they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawna - I will be here for about 7 weeks, working for 6. I bet you are so excited!!

    Mom - It is true, you all exaggerate, as Nicolaj pointed out today. Have you ever met his children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'm catching up here....I would probably offend everyone by trying to look at them. ; )
    Macey

    ReplyDelete